Tuesday, July 15, 2008

THE HAUTACAM INSPIRES A LITTLE HILL CLIMB

Watching the guys climb Hautacam last night must have inspired me this morning. I got up and headed out on the bike early this morning. As I got by the stadium, I noticed that I had plenty of time before I needed to be at work. So, I took a ride to the top of the Camp Smith. Coming down at 40+ was better than a cup of coffe for getting me pumped up for the day.

At lunch, I did the Hickam Hammerfest. Stayed at or near the front for the whole ride. Did some paceline training with Ben A. and Dev. Then the fun began. Ben S. and Ben A. started talking about the plan for the finish. I was given the go ahead from Ben S. to take the sprint. He warned me to watch for Dev. Soon after we rounded the last corner, I saw Dev going for it. In the excitement, I took off after him. He and I were in an all out sprint together. It was great! Then we both died. I quickly realized I had pulled the ultimately rookie move by countering his attack too early. I should have stayed with the other three guys that were leading out until we were closer to the finish. Man, you can learn something everyday with this group. Too much fun today!

No comments: